Saturday, July 25, 2015

Which Thief are You?

I have been procrastinating on writing my last few blog posts - mostly because I know it will finalized my time that I have spent serving Christ in Colombia these past 3 years.  But, I recently came across something that my students all wrote during out last bible lesson of the year.

All year, we have been searching for clues as to the mystery of Jesus' death on the cross.  What does it mean?  Why did it happen?  Who killed Jesus?  How did he die?  Where and when did this happen?  These clues from the Old Testament lead us straight to Jesus being the only person that could be the Messiah that God had promised his people.  Once we come to grasp this truth and what the Bible really teaches about Jesus, we can have 2 different responses to Him.  We can see these 2 responses by looking at the 2 thieves who died on the cross next to Jesus.


2 Thieves on the Cross

Image result for thieves on the cross"Two others also, who were criminals, were being lead away to be put to death with Him.  When they came to place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on his left.  But Jesus was saying, "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing"  And the people cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves. And the people stood by, looking on.  And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, "He saved others, let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One."  The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine and saying, "If you are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!"  Now there was also an inscription above Him.  "THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS."  One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him saying,"Are You not the Christ?  Save yourself and us!"  But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?  And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong."  And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!"  And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in paradise."       Luke 23:32-43


One thief responds with disbelief, rejecting Jesus as King, leading to condemnation and a life in Hell.  The second thief responds with faith and belief in Jesus.  This leads to being forgiven (no condemnation) and eternal life in heaven with Jesus as His Savior.  When we hear about Jesus, our heart can have either of these 2 reactions.  I asked my students to journal about what their response to Jesus was.  For years, they have heard about Jesus, but I wanted them to really think about what they personally believed about Him.  Below are some of their responses...


I'm sorry God.  Sometimes I just care of different things and I forget who you are.  I believe that you are the Only God, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, the only one we should adore.  You are first in my life.  You are not bad, you are not good, you are the BEST!!  I think I am like the one (thief) who did bad things but then repented because I know I do bad things but then I repent.

I believe that Jesus is the Messiah and I think the bible is true word of God and I believe every word of it.  Jesus's death means a lot to me to think that Jesus gave up his life to let me go to heaven is amazing.  I think I am a cross between both criminals.  I know that when I mean or mad at other people it is going straight to Jesus.  That would make me like the first criminal.  But when I am kind and loving, it makes me like the second criminal.  I believe that God will keep his promises. Sometimes there will be a split second where my heart tells me what if the bible was just made-up.  I know I love Jesus and I know He is alive.  The devil likes to poison my heart, but God always helps me believe.


I believe Jesus because I heard that he called me.  When I heard that Jesus died on the cross for our sins I thought why did you do that because I deserved it and God no.  In church, they said why do you want to be baptized and I said so that people know that I trust Him and that I love him.  So they told me you are already of God because I trust Him and that is true and that day I learned a lesson, a big lesson, and that is true.  I love God and no matter what I am always going to love him with my heart.

I believe that he is the Only God and that he is the only one who can make miracles.  It means that He really died for us and our sins.  I am more like the criminal who didn't believe because we sin and sometimes we don't accept that we sin.  I am learning to trust Him because he loves us and because he wants the best for us even if it takes a lot of time.


God, I believe in you.  I have always believed in you since I was 7.  I remember one night when I was in my room.  My mom and dad were out and my sisters were sleeping.  I remember I was scared and didn't know what to do.  I started reading the Bible and I found a verse that said to me I didn't have to be afraid because God was watching over me every second.  So then I prayed to Him and accepted him into my heart.   I felt peace about staying home without my parents and my sisters sleeping.  I don't really think it is fair for God to die on the cross and not us because God didn't do anything wrong but humans have.

Dear Jesus, I am very sorry because of the times that I know I am doing something wrong but I still do it.  I think that sometimes I'm not sure what you are going to do with me.  For example, when I get in trouble and I realize that what I did was not what Jesus wanted me to do I am very sorry because I want to be with you in paradise like the second criminal.  


My response to Jesus is to obey him all the time.  I believe that he is my savior and he is the one who died on the cross for our sins.  Jesus dying on the cross means to me that he loves us and that's because he died on the cross for our sins.  I am more like the second criminal.  Yes, I believe that He will do all that He promised to do.

Jesus died on the cross to give us eternal life even when we don't deserve it.  That's why my favorite verse is John 3:16.  I think most of the time I am the second criminal.  I believe that God is my Savior.  This year, I feel like He touched my heart.

Sometimes when we go to church I prefer just to stay playing on my I-pad.  So, now I realize how was His death.  I always say sorry in my prayers.


My heart is so encouraged by these testimonies by such young brothers and sisters in Christ.  Their honesty is so great to see and it just makes me fall more in love with Jesus hearing their precious words.  I leave you, now, with one question...

Which Thief Are YOU??  What Do YOU Really Believe about Jesus??


Prayers/Praises:
Continued prayers for my transition back and all the emotional changes that come with that.  That my desire would be to continually seek God and his word through this time.

I will be writing another blog with my final thoughts on my adjustments and my ending time at ECA soon :-)  To those I have seen already, thank you for welcoming me back!!


Blessings,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment