Sunday, July 29, 2012

Marakuya, Arequipe, and a visit to The Jungle!!

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I!  Send me."  Isaiah 6:8

 I've arrived in Bogota!!!!  My first week here has been like a whirlwind and I am learning so much about Colombia, El Camino, and about trusting the Lord for provision :-) 

What I've learned about Colombia:
They have many delicious fruits including Marakuya, Arequipe, and Lulu to name just a few!!  I've also learned to make my own fruit juice from scratch :-)
Eggs and Milk do not need to be refrigerated!!
Riding the TransMilenio (their public transportation system) is crazy crowded - Don't know why I ever complained about the Metra or the Loop back home!!
They love to greet one another - so I have had lots of practice with saying "Beunas Dias/Tardes" to EVERYONE I see.   


Above is the view from my apartment building :-)  What a blessing it is to wake up to this picture of God's beautiful creation in the morning!

Here are some pictures from inside my apartment - kitchen, living room, etc.  Interesting beginning to life in Bogota - I was locked out of my apartment with all of my things inside for the first two days of my arrival!  (I know - what a way to start off my time here in a foreign country!!)  After having to spend two days living in the same outfit, God has really taught me to trust him to provide, as He did so through the wonderful teachers at ECA who gave me a toothbrush, and something to sleep in :-) 




This past Saturday, or yesterday, I had the opportunity to go and serve at one of the places our 9th graders will be serving at this school year!!!  It is called The Jungle, and their ministry is to take care of kids who live on the street here on the southside of Bogota.  They come from broken homes that include prostitution, sexual abuse, drugs, and other horrible family situations that have put them on the street.  These precious children lacked basic human needs such as water, food, and positive human touch.  I think I spent the entire time there with a child wrapped around my waist in some way!!!!!  We spent the morning playing with about 100 of them, giving them lots of hugs and tickles.  Then, we sang songs about Jesus' love and had a bible lesson/craft on the 10 commandments.  Lastly, we sent them away with a hot dog and drink to fill their hungry stomaches.  While we were there, we took turns going across the street and had constant intercessory prayer being lifted up for this minsitry.  I was so humbled to see the devastation and affects sin has had on the world in this way.  The hurt and pain that these children are going through is really hard to see.  However, they also had hope and light in their eyes as we told them about Jesus and that there was someone who really cared about them.  What a simple way to be the arms, hands, and feet of Christ to these little ones.  How many times have I missed opportunities back in the USA to minister to people who are hurting in my own country??  They are easy words to say, 'Here am I.  Send me!!" but, how often I miss the chance to sacrifice my time to go and help someone else who really needs it!!  Praying that God would open my eyes, all of our eyes, and make our hearts willing to be compassionate to those in need :-)  The work of the Jungle ministry was so encouraging to me and the people who pour their lives into this ministry are a blessing from the Lord!!!!  I came away feeling exhausted, yet amazed at how God is working in these children's lives :-)


Lastly, I leave you with a picture of my classroom!!  I have been able to start working and preparing for the Lord's work for this upcoming school year, and had a the opportunity to meet two of my students :-)

Prayers/Praises
We finally have hot water in our apartment!!!   Praise the Lord :-)

That I would get the rest that I need in Jesus as I head into a full week of orientation and planning.

That I would prioritize my individual time w/ God and His Word,  as I get settled here in Bogota :-)

A teaching need that ECA has had been fulfilled by a member of the Orchard!!!  My friend, Jon Henkles and his wife, Lindsay, are joining us for the first week of school to fill in for our high school social studies teacher who is arriving a few weeks late into the school year.  Thank you for being an answer to prayer, Jon and Lindsay!!!

Bendicionces,
Carrie


3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I figured out how to post. Carrie, your room and testimony of time in Bogota is fantastic!! I love your cute apartment and the view...I bet that is so wonderful in the morning.

    God has equipped you to love well, and what a place the Jungle is for you to do it. I'm totally inspired. Even a classroom. Do you want to pinch yourself? Oh my goodness. I'm so full.

    Love you sister!!
    Margo

    ps I found a purple skirt ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! Margo, I miss you tons, LOVE you bunches, and wish you were here with me :-) Thank you for your encouraging words and prayers - they mean more that you know!!

      I'm hoping those purple shoes are getting good use!! Glad they now have a skirt to match :-)

      Love you more, sister!!
      Carrie

      Delete