Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Loss for the Sake of Knowing Christ


I'm starting to realize how much I hold on to earthly and superficial things.  As I am starting to see the end of many of the activities/ministries that I so love, my eyes have been opened to all that I am giving up by leaving.  Recently, I have taken my last ice skating lesson, handed over my Kindergarten Sunday School curriculum, realized I have to give up my cell phone (wow, was that harder than I thought...) and have started saying good-bye to some friends.  While spending time with my family and friends, I find myself realizing all of the moments I will miss having with them - phone calls, hugs, lunch, coffee, being able to see them at a moment's notice.  As I had lunch with a dear friend this week, as I spent the day with my sister and nephew...I realized how much I will truly miss them. 

Yet, as I thought and prayed about my love for ice skating, teaching Kindergarten, my phone, and especially my family and friends...these things are nothing in comparison to gaining Christ.  Jesus is worth sacrificing for, worth following, worth loving because of the love he showed us on the cross.  He endured the tremendous pain and suffering for the sake of atoning for our sins.  It was a matter of fixing my eyes on Jesus - "the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him(gaining his rebellious people back) endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of God."  Hebrews 12:2.  All of these things are worthy of being considered a loss for the sake of going and serving Jesus in Bogota!! 

One might say...even your family and friends??  In 2 Timothy 1:12, it says "That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day."  I love ice skating, yet Jesus is worth loving more :-)  I love teaching those precious Kindergarteners about Jesus, but I am willing to leave this ministry for the sake of telling people who have not heard about Him.  I love my family and friends, yet Jesus promises that I will see them one day again in heaven.  Praise God for this hope of eternal fellowship with brothers and sisters in Christ!!

A year ago, I never would have thought it possible for me to give up ice skating, my phone or my very close relationships that I hold so dear.  But, left in the hands of Jesus, I know they are safe and He has made it possible for my heart to let go of these things.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  In his great mercy, he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade - kept in heaven for you..."  1Peter 1:3-4

Just think of the precious, and undeserving, rewards that we gain when we trust and follow Him :-)


Prayer Requests:

  • 1st big road block over healthcare concerns - that the Lord would provide a way for me to have the medications I need while in Colombia, as not all of them are available down there.  Pray that the details between insurance/doctors would all work out soon :-)
  • For my preparations to speak at a missions class at The Orchard-AH Campus on July 15th, as I share my heart for going and serving in Bogota.
  • That I will use time wisely, not freaking out about details, but preparing my heart and getting important tasks done before leaving on July 23rd.
  • Continued financial and prayer support - praising God for the ministry partners he is already sending my way :-)
  • My living situation - I will living with a returning teacher and another newbie like me :-0  Super excited!!!

2 comments:

  1. Prayer request number 3 looks familiar! :) I'll pray for you, Carrie, and I appreciate your prayers as well! May God use both this time of preparation and our teaching in Colombia for His glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in Bogota:) You will be missed, and we will be praying for you!!

    Love,
    Aunt Mary, Uncle Jeff, Madeline, Nicholas (posted by Madeline)

    ReplyDelete