Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Following Christ: More than going through the motions

My devotional this morning really convicted me about how everyday our attitudes should really reflect Christ.  There have been times in my faith where my heart has not shown true enjoyment in the Lord and more like I am just going through the motions and following a bunch of rules.  God has really been teaching how this looks to unbelivers.  Currently, I feel like my enjoyment in Christ is being brought to a whole new level and even tested - Carrie, will you still testify to my satisfying love even if I call you to a foregin land away from your family, friends and church?  Am I enough to satisfy you and give you joy?  Will you depend on me alone?

Here is part of my devotional this morning:
"A feast in made for laughter," Solomon wrote (Ecclesiastes 10:19).  I am sure God intended His children to be joyful in the feast of Christ's Gospel.  In the Old Testament, mourners were not allowed to sit at God's table.  Since a saint's gloom reflects unkindness on God Himself, how can we recommend His satisfying love if it does not satisfy us?  The world thinks the Christian life is depressing anyway, a dry meal where very litte wine of joy is tasted.  Why will you confirm their deception, Christian?  Why should they have your example as evidence against Jesus and His Word, which promises peace and joy to everyone who comes to this table?

God forbid that your behavior, which should hold forth "the word of life" and demonstrate the reality of it in the eyes of the world, ever disagree or throw doubt on His Word (Philippians 2:16)....    Yet a practical testimony from Christian's lives has great authority over the consciences of men to persuade them of Gospel truth.  They can believe it is good news when they can read it clearly in a cheerful life.

When unbelievers see Christians sad as they hold the cup of salvation in their hands, they suspect the wine is not so good as preachers say it is....    Christian, do not give unbelievers reason to imagine, by seeing you limping through the race, that they must forfeit happiness if they become Christians and spend the rest of thier lives in a house of mourning, with a team of losers.

Is Christ's gospel full of life or not?  Then do not go into debt with the world to soak up it's carnal benefits; you need never leave God's house to be made glad.

Christian in Complete Armor   by William Gurnall


Isn't this convicting?  Would you pray with me today that each and everyone one of us would come to find true contentment and joy in Christ, so that our witness does not deter others from following Christ?  I like how it ends with reminding us that if we are searching for this joy, God's house is the place that we find it.  May we each dwell in his house today, my brothers and sisters in Christ!

Blessings,
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister. I read this today too. I'm even more convicted hearing it again!! Thank you , Carrie.

    May we never leave His house for gladness!!

    ReplyDelete